Sunday, July 25, 2010

Pork Chops with Apricot marinade and Haluska

I rarely cook Pork chops but got a BOGO at Giant Eagle and I know how much Peter likes Pork chops. So I Decided to make a marinade so my Mira would eat them as well. My little Carnivores.   

Pork Chops with Apricot marinade
Marinate 3-4 good sized pork chops (med thickness) in the items mixed below for at least 4 hours or overnight;
 2 TBSP apricot jam (we bought this from our farm with our CSA)
 2 Tbsp soy Sauce (or more if you like it saltier)
 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
 2 tsp sugar
 Grill the marinated Chops on the Grill outside and serve over the Haluska below... 

Haluska is a authentic Hungarian or Polish Noodle dish. My friend Patricia Loverich-Bernard gave me her version from her Mom and this is it here sans the sour cream but you can use it if you like.

Haluska
1 head med-large green cabbage chopped into strips
1 large onion (or 2 small-med) chopped into strips
 1stick of butter (butter makes everything better)
1 bag or box of large flat egg noodles cooked and drained (this is important because although I have tried it does not work or taste as good with any other noodle)
salt and pepper (I will tell you I use Penzeys 'Mural of Flavor' spices 1/2 tsp and add some salt and it is wonderful)
Penzeys is in the Strip District in Pittsburgh and they have wonderful spice mixes that are so easy to use to enhance your dishes (that sounded like an advertisement, I wonder if they will give me a discount!)
Saute the butter, cabbage and noodles in a deep fry pan on med high heat. Be careful not to burn the butter. Once the cabbage has softened and the onions translucent add the spices and the noodles and cook a little more 5-7 min.

 The kids and Peter were in heaven over this dish and I served it with a side of my kids favorite Asparagus. What is it about heavily laden butter dishes that make everyone smile;)?

No comments:

Post a Comment