Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Non Stop Cooking and Helpful Ideas

I have been cooking the last few days non-stop. My feet ache from standing in the kitchen and I am just plain tired. What an awful Hot day.
Some ideas to add to your menus;
Adding more raw into your diet:
Easy tortilla sandwich
Microwave for about a minute a tortilla with re fried beans, cheese, grated carrot and grated zuchinni, when done top with salsa and lettuce.  Makes for a quick and easy meal.
I make this sometimes when I need to run out the door in a hurry.
Add more veggies to lasagna
Even if your crowd loves meat you can add veggies in and they still will be happy if you cut it up small enough so they don't notice.
I use a zyliss but you can use your food processor to chop up veggies like, cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash, onion and spinach. Mix it in with the sauce and don't forget a little fresh basil!
Cook up chicken breast to use the whole week
When I get chicken on sale I boil(simmer) them in chicken broth just till they are still slightly pink inside (they still cook when turned off) Cut them up into bite sized chunks and then keep them in the fridge for easy use. This way you can lather them in barbecue for a quick barbecue chicken meal, spice them up with marsala sauce(next post) and cauliflower for a quick Indian flavor meal. You can use them in sandwiches, and salads too. You can even freeze it after cooked to nuke later.
Cook Oatmeal up the way you like it into small cups and freeze
I love stove top oatmeal cooked with cinnamon and maple syrup my way. If you have a special oatmeal only you can make check this out; After done cooking pour into those cheap 6 oz plastic cups cover with saran wrap an freeze. Pop them into a bowl and nuke when ready to eat.
Not so beefy Sloppy Joes
I feel like my kids get too much beef, but they really like the flavor. So I do half beef and half ground turkey when I can. Worried about it being too dry, mix in a cup of blended cooked cauliflower into the meat before cooking. It keeps it moist but the flavor is not noticeable!
Chow, Now I need a Nap!

1 comment:

  1. The tortilla sandwich sounds fab! How do you configure it for cooking? Flat and then fold into sandwich or fold into sandwich and then cook?

    ReplyDelete